Did you know that there are simple things you can do to burn more calories all day long? Dieters often try to boost their metabolism to lose weight. But it’s very hard to change your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Several factors like age, gender and genetics play a role in this number. But you can change your activity level to burn more calories.
Simple Steps to Burn More Calories
- Stand while you work. If you work at a desk job, you might feel confined to a chair all day. But in many jobs you can actually stand while you work. Set up a counter height workspace and spend part of your day working on your feet.
- Park far away. Make it a habit to park at the back of the parking lot when you go to the mall, the grocery store or the gym. Every step counts and you’ll increase your number with this simple trick.
- Have meetings on the go. Instead of booking a conference room for your next meeting, tell your coworkers to lace up a pair of shoes and take your meeting on the road. Walk outside or around your building. If you’re a homemaker, grab the kids and chat about their day during a walk after school.
- Talk and walk. Do you chat on the phone during the day? Don’t sit while you gab. Pace around the room or walk up and down the stairs while you catch up with friends.
- Do your chores. Hate to clean? Housecleaning isn’t fun for anyone, but if you clean vigorously you can boost your caloric burn and get a clean house at the same time.