Most of exercise less during the holidays. Who has time to go to the gym when there are family gatherings to attend, school parties to visit, and holiday shopping to finish. It’s no surprise that our workouts fall to the bottom of the priority list in December.
Why Exercise Matters More During the Holidays
But the holidays are when exercise matters more. Physical activity will help to alleviate stress, burn extra calories from holiday parties, and may even help you sleep better at night. Fun physical activities might also help you to spend time bonding with family members and friends.
7 Fun Holiday Workout Solutions
So how do you get more physical activity during the holidays? Use these ideas to stay healthy and fit during the hectic holiday season.
- Schedule a group walk before family meals.
- Meet friends for yoga class instead of happy hour
- Rent skates and burn calories on the ice (indoors or out)
- Learn to cross country ski with your kids
- Do quick mini strength workouts at home
- Take the kids to the community pool to swim laps and burn off steam
- Enjoy a morning mall walk before shopping (the distance around one complete level at the Mall of American is .57 miles)
- Do an online yoga class (try this quick 10-minute Beginner Yoga to de-stress and improve flexbility)
Need more incentive to workout? Listen to this short video by North Memorial’s Leslie Norton MD about the health benefits of exercise.
Looking for other healthy changes you can make to improve your health? Check out the North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss website? It’s a great source of easy tips for healthy eating, exercise and diet support. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.