Did the recent snow inspire you to get outdoors and exercise? For many of us, it does just the opposite. Short, cold days often make us want to sit on the couch and eat. But you may be able to inspire yourself if you grab a few friends and learn a new sport. If you want to burn mega calories and go easy on your joints, cross country skiing is the perfect activity for you.
Fitness Benefits of Cross Country Skiing
Nordic skiing, also known as cross country skiing, can be a tough sport. But like many activities, it can be performed at a moderate or even easy intensity level. If you are new to the sport, you can look forward to these fitness and weight loss benefits:
- Burns 300 to 500 calories per hour
- Strengthens the muscles in the lower body
- Helps develop core strength and stability skills
- Provides a total body workout that is easy on the joints
Learn to Cross Country Ski
Now is the perfect time to learn to ski and the Twin Cities has plenty of park services and rental outlets that will allow you to try it out without investing too much money. Call these locations or check online to get more information about trails and schedules.
Trails in Minneapolis
- Wirth Park: Rentals and concessions available
- Columbia Golf Course: Rentals and concessions available
- Gross National Golf Club: Rentals from Columbia can be taken to Gross
Trails in the suburbs:
- Baker Park, Maple Plain: Rentals and concessions available
- French Regional Park, Plymouth: Rentals and concessions available
- Hyland Park Reserve, Bloomington: Rentals and concessions available
Looking for other healthy changes you can make to improve your health? Check out the North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss website? It’s a great source of easy tips for healthy eating, exercise and diet support. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.