Today’s guest post comes from Julie Lother, Fitness Director for Fit@North, the Health and Wellness program for employees at North Memorial Medical Center. She provides tips that will help you exercise without expensive equipment or a gym membership.
Bodyweight training can help you work in some exercise no matter what your schedule throws at you. In fact, your own body weight can be the best resistance tool you have. Total body strengthening can be done almost any time, anywhere. So increase your strength with these exercises:
Simple Body Weight Exercises
- Step-ups. Find a bench, a step, or if you are a beginner, a phone book. Now, step up then step down and repeat the pattern, squeezing your buns and engaging your thigh muscles.
- Mountain Climbers. Start in the plank position and slowly bring your right knee towards your chest. Repeat on the left. As you gain stability, move your knees in and out faster for a quick cardio burn.
- Push-ups. Get down on the floor or use the wall for a beginner option. Either way keep your abs contracted and your back straight. You can start on your knees and graduate up to full push-ups as you practice.
- Triceps Dips. Start by sitting on your butt, knees bent and arms braced behind you with fingers pointed towards your back. Then, push up into the crab position. Use your triceps to dip up and down, keeping your body stable and using only your arms.
- Leg-ups. Get down on all fours and lift your leg behind you. Squeeze your buns as you lower and lift for maximum benefits. Make sure to do with both legs.
- Sit-ups. Lay down on your back, bend your knees and put your hands behind your head. Roll up, engaging your abdominal muscles like a crunch. Move slowly and don’t use the momentum. It’s quality and not quantity that counts.
- Full Body Roll-ups. Lie flat on your back with your arms extended overhead. Slowly roll up into a “C” curve reaching for your toes. Inhale and exhale as you uncurl your body one vertebra at a time back into the floor.
No more excuses! You don’t have to have dumbbells or a gym to get in your workout. You can workout anywhere you are with the best resistance equipment there is: YOU!
Have you checked out the North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss website? It’s a great source of easy tips for healthy eating, exercise and diet support. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Twitter