Are you planning a Memorial Day celebration with friends or family? You can keep the meal healthy with lower fat and lower calorie versions of a few summer favorites. This healthy potato salad is a perfect example. Developed by exercise physiologist and nutritionist Franci Cohen, the tasty recipe is easy to fix and better for your body than its traditional counterpart. Give it a try, then chime in on Facebook and let me know how you like it.
Healthy Mediterranean Potato Salad
- 2 dozen small red potatoes (approx. 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 T finely chopped dill
- 1 bunch finely chopped scallions
- 1 red onion, diced small
- 2-3 tsp cumin
- juice & zest of 4-6 large fresh lemons (approx. 1/3 cup juice)
- 3 T kosher salt
- 2-3 T extra virgin olive oil
1. Boil potatoes in covered saucepan filled with water and 1 T kosher salt, and bring to a simmer.
2. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender but not too soft (about 10 minutes)
3. Remove potatoes from saucepan and put into a bowl of ice water, to shock potatoes and stop the cooking process.
4. Remove potatoes from ice water bath, and chop into big 2″ cubes.
5. Place cubed potatoes into large bowl.
6. To create the dressing, mix remaining ingredients together and whisk to incorporate all.
7. Pour dressing over potatoes
8. Mix well and serve