On Tuesday, I posted a list of the worst Halloween candy to eat if you are on a diet. The items on the list were chosen by the American Council on Exercise (ACE). Today, I promised to provide a list of better choices. But note, these choices are “better” not “best.”
Candy is Candy
There is no “best” candy. Candy is candy: empty calories usually loaded with fat and sugar. Does that mean you should avoid it altogether? Maybe not. But it does mean that you should make good choices and eat it in moderation. These candies are better choices if you trying to eat healthy.
Better Halloween Candy Choices (as chosen by ACE)
- Starburst Fruit Chews: 9 pieces = 150 calories; 0 fat; 22 g sugar
- Dum Dum Pops: 3 lollipops = 59 calories; 0 fat; 11 g sugar
- Tootsie Roll: 6 Tootsie Rolls (40 g) = 140 calories (30 calories from fat); 3 g total fat; 19 g sugar
- Brach’s Candy Corn: 26 pieces = 150 calories; 0 fat; 28 g sugar
- Jolly Rancher Hard Candy: 3 candies = 70 calories; 0 fat; 11 g sugar
- Peeps Marshmallow Pumpkins: 8 pumpkins = 130 calories; 0 fat; 29 g sugar
- York Snack Size Peppermint Patties: 1 mini patty = 50 calories; 1g fat; 9g sugar
Regardless of which candy you choose, avoid the temptation to overindulge on Halloween night. Grab one or two of your favorite treats in the smallest snack size and set them aside to enjoy. Then, munch on healthy snacks throughout the night and stay active so that you are not aimlessly sitting next to a bowl of calories waiting for trick or treaters. Play cards with the family, knit, or cook a healthy pot of soup for the week.
Which Halloween candy will you choose? Go to the North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss Facebook page and let me know!