Did you send your kids off to school today? Whether you are a parent or not, Fall is a popular time for people to settle into a routine. It’s also a great time to start an exercise program. Cooler temperatures make outdoor exercise comfortable and the changing scenery makes it enjoyable. Why not grab a few friends and get started?
5 Steps to Starting an Exercise Program
- Make sure you have good quality shoes and breathable exercise apparel. You’ll be more comfortable during the workout and you’ll reduce your risk of injury.
- Find a fitness buddy. Get creative and ask around. Neighbors, friends from church or school and co-workers can make great exercise partners.
- Start slowly. A daily short workout will do more for you in than a once-a-week exercise marathon. If you are new to exercise, start with 15 minutes every day and add time gradually.
- Plan ahead. Every night before you go to bed, plan your workout for the following day. Set out your exercise clothing, pack your gym bag or make arrangements to meet your buddy.
- Combine aerobic, strength and stretching activities for a comprehensive program. If you’re not sure what exercises to do, check out our videos to get started.
Listen to an audio recording of these tips and other advice about diet and exercise at North Memorial For Your Health. You can also visit the North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss website for more information about healthy eating and exercise. Then get connected with others who have similar goals on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.