What steps have you taken this year to improve your health? If you are a woman, or have a woman in your life, this is the week to ask yourself that question. May 13-19 is Women’s Health Week. During this week, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women’s Health encourages all women to make their health a priority.
5 Steps to Improve Your Health
The theme for this year’s Women’s Health Week is “It’s Your Time.” Women should backburner other priorities this week to take active steps to improve their health and well-being. The men in their lives can provide support by helping with tasks and responsibilities at home and work.
What are the first steps to take? Use this checklist:
- Visit a health care professional to receive regular checkups and preventive screenings. Make an appointment today with your North Memorial Medical Center provider.
- Get active. Start an exercise program in your home or in your neighborhood. Enlist the support of friends to keep you on track.
- Eat healthy. Clean out the refrigerator and clear out the high calorie sodas and junk food. Restock with fruits, veggies, low fat dairy and lean meat.
- Pay attention to mental health, including getting enough sleep and managing stress.
- Avoid unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking and not wearing a seatbelt or bicycle helmet.
Be sure you stay connected with us here, as well! Find us on Facebook and Twitter, then stay tuned for the launch of the new North Memorial Healthy Weight Loss Program website. Check back here for updates.